The Institute for Philosophical Studies (IEF) at the Faculty of Arts and Humanities of the University of Coimbra (FLUC) welcomes and supports qualified candidates interested in applying for fix-term (up to 6 years) research positions in Philosophy, funded by the Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT). The deadline is on 26 February, 2020 (17:00 Lisbon Time).
The FCT is the Portuguese national funding agency for academic research and development. In 2020 it will fund about 300 Post-Doc research positions at various stages of their scientific career, to join a research unit throughout Portugal.
Interested candidates are invited to contact as soon as possible the IEF’s Coordinator, Prof. Dr. Mário Santiago de Carvalho (at email@example.com). They must put in Cc Dr. Simone Guidi (at firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please attach a brief description of your intended research and a current CV, no later than February, 8th.
APPLICATION AND CONTRACT
Interested researchers will apply online directly to the FCT, but their application must be supported by a host institution, namely a research unit already funded by the FCT into a Portuguese University. The researchers are hired by the host institution through a contract between the host and the FCT, guaranteeing the funding.
WHY APPLY WITH THE IEF
The IEF (Instituto de Estudos Filosóficos) is the only research unit entirely dedicated to Philosophy within the University of Coimbra. The University of Coimbra is the oldest University in Portugal, founded in 1290, and a renowned Institution with about 22.000 students.
The IEF counts 22 full members and 54 associate members. The unit, which has been recently well evaluated by the FCT, has a consolidated history and unparalleled international expansion, reaching more than 36 countries in Europe, United States, Latin America, Asia and Australia.
Further information regarding the IEF main lines of research and scientific profile can be obtained by following the link: www.uc.pt/fluc/uidief
HOW TO APPLY
The application must be written in English, and will include:
• The research plan, including a description of the main activities, expected results, as well as a clear explanation of how your research will fit with (at least one of) the goals set out in the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
• Brief description of previous academic and scientific experience, highlighting the main activities and results got in the last 5 years;
• A complete Curriculum vitae;
• Motivation letter, identifying up to two main contributions of the candidate in the last 5 years, and the expected main contributions for the next years;
• A brief description of the conditions provided by the Host Institution and of how the proposed research plan fits into the overall strategy of the research unit.
Applications will be assessed by an international panel, according to the following criteria:
• The candidate’s scientific experience, especially the last 5 years (70%);
• The proposed research plan (including an explanation of how they fit with the objectives within UN’s 2030 Agenda) (30%).
CHOSE YOUR CAREER STAGE
Four different kinds of positions are expected, according to the candidate’s career stage:
• Junior researcher: PhD holders with limited post-doctoral experience in the scientific area of application. Net wage is around 1.400-1.500€ for 14 months/year, depending on several specific factors related to the family composition and income;
• Assistant researcher: PhD holders with more than 5 years of post-doctoral research, with relevant experience in the scientific area of application and limited scientific independence. Net wage is around 1.800-1.950€ for 14 months/year, depending on several specific factors related to the family composition and income;
• Principal researcher: PhD holders with more than 5 years of post-doctoral research, with relevant experience in the scientific area of application and demonstrating scientific independence for the last 3 years. Net wage is around 2.100-2300€ for 14 months/year, depending on several specific factors related to the family composition and income;
• Coordinating researcher: PhD holders with more than 5 years of post-doctoral research, holders of a title of ‘Agregado’ (or ‘Habilitation’), with relevant experience and demonstrating scientific independence and recognized leadership in the scientific area of application. Net wage is around 2.350-2500€ for 14 months/year, depending on several specific factors related to the family composition and income.
The candidate is responsible for the choice of the contract level best suited to its career stage.
IMPORTANT: DOCTORAL DIPLOMA AND EQUIVALENCE
During the application process the candidates will be required to upload the doctoral diploma. To comply with the Portuguese legislation concerning the recognition of foreign qualifications, all the doctoral degrees granted by foreign higher education institutions should be duly recognized.
Applicants are advised to visit the website of the Direção-Geral do Ensino Superior (DGES) for further information: https://www.dges.gov.pt/en.
If possible, the recognition certificate (or proof that one has been requested) should be uploaded together with the diploma.
VERY IMPORTANT: Applications will be considered even if the recognition certificate is not available, but the recognition must be obtained before signing the contract. This means that who holds a Ph.D. got out of Portugal can take part in the competition, but the lack of equivalence must be duly declared in the application form.
Some useful links might be the following:
- Present 2020 FCT Call:
- Past 2018 Call’s Application Guide
- Past 2018 Call’s Evaluation Guide
- Coimbra Unesco World Heritage